Friday, May 8, 2015

In the Beginning...

Lots of beginnings lately; the start of the sunny season, which means tons of biking and running and seed planting.  To keep myself sane I carve out some yoga and meditation time.  Somehow there are no biking pictures, I think I am just so busy riding and being elated at being on my bike and flying down the trails that it doesn't even occur to me to take pictures.  But the biggest beginning, the one that rules our lives for the next 60 days and lingers for at least a year.....the HOUSE.  Oh yeah, and the ginormous back yard.  Where Percy is only free when someone is actively watching her.  Don't let that back fence deceive you, it may as well be made of paper. I fear a stiff breeze blowing it over.   


I took two days off work to help the man.  I do all the paperwork and fun stuff with the bank and he gets to rule the remodel.  His biggest project to date.  We're taking it back to the studs.  Where there are studs.  Other places are back to whatever is there instead of studs.  He's about to open up the most interesting wall in the house.   


Everything in this kitchen is now in the dump.  Including the ceiling and the kitchen sink.  It all goes.  To say what we found was amazing is an understatement.  


Everything.  Including the kitchen sink.  We were on to the second dumpster on the second day.  


See his amazement?  He can't believe what's behind some of these walls.  Layers of walls.  Like three layers.  


I have my own room of wonder across the hall from his.  Ever swing a demo hammer at a wall and have it bounce off?  Repeatedly?  I can still feel it in my collar bones.  Also, I'm short.  I can't actually reach the top of the walls without a ladder.  Which proves to have interesting results.  The newer drywall sucks.  It comes off in pieces the size of your fist.  Or smaller.  The older stuff is a couple square feet at a time.  


The floors also had three layers of coverings in places.  Rugs are actually two layers, the rug and the pad.  Over tiles and ... we'er still waiting to see what's under these.  We're hoping to get up the second floor tonight.  Racing to get ready for the electrician.  Which means somehow we have to make a range hood and bathroom fan appear this week.  Do you know what the selections are like for those in this town?  Neither did I.  Until now.  And shipping to Alaska....I'm pretty sure I have complained about that before.  


And this is how we all feel at the end of every day.  They are so happy to have a yard to play in.  And we love the new brewery down the street.  But they really need a bike rack.  


No comments: