Thursday, August 20, 2015

A windowsill and other weekend excitement

Last weekend we decided that we would no longer work (outside home) on Sundays.  Which is a good thing because no other day this past week had time for house work.  Bright and early Sunday afternoon Chad put on the last two boards on the exterior walls in the kitchen.  He did some of the caulking too until I realized I could be doing that.  A little learning curve, but I think I'm on track to do a bunch of the remaining caulking.  Which will give me hulk like forearms.  


We only made one trip to the store, to buy the rain cover, and two trips to the storage unit.  Err, three actually but the first one doesn't count because he forgot the toolbox keys.  Even though the ground was wet the tools and wood and man were dry.  


At one point Chad called me outside to show me something about the woodworking.  When I came out he looked up to talk to me and gasped at what he saw behind me.  Not at all disturbing!  It was a car on fire a couple blocks over.  Once the fire trucks arrived it was out pretty quick.  And we got to meet some neighbors.  


Frogcat is still large and in charge.  The great white supervisor.  He loves to hang out in the rain.  Unlike the dogs.


He had enough of my photo session when he realized I didn't have any food. 


Meanwhile, back in the kitchen, the first board of the window sill gets tried out for size.  


The man and his tools.  After the sharpening box was located and the tools were sharpened.  I found one of his hats when I did a Friday evening belly crawl through the trailer looking for his running shoes so we could explore the woods with the dogs.  Who needs a 'boot camp' workout at the gym when you could just live like I do?


Too bad the whole shop won't fit under the canopy.  12x12 is a surprisingly large space.  And the wood shaving curls will be awesome fire starters.....


I did a lot of little things around the house while I was waiting for tasks that required my help.  I did laundry.  And vacuumed.  And did dishes.  And found creative places to dry the dishes.  And found the dish drying rack in a box.  I emptied several boxes in fact.  And found a place to stack them.  And I shopped around for a kitchen sink.  Very productive.  


And at the end of the day we had this to show for our efforts.  A window silled in saphele.  A southern hemisphere mahogany.  I get to oil it a couple times this week and he gets to finish shimming it out.  Two more kitchen windows to sill and trim.  Watch out world we are just flying along!  But we did decide on a kitchen sink.  I think.  



No comments: