Saturday, July 18, 2009

Gold Nugget Triathlon

It's been a few months, but I finally got myself together with the pictures Smokey took of me at the triathlon I swam/biked/ran in back in May. And what a journey it was. Not long after we moved to Anchorage I saw this race and started thinking about doing it the next year. So, when I heard how hard it was to get a spot in the race, I stayed up until midnight on registration opening eve to ensure a spot. And I commenced to training. And then I broke my finger and my bike and swim training came to an abrut halt. The running training had more of a pause than anything else. Tiny sweet Monica who is getting married next month also registered for this race, but it was not her first time racing it. This was my second triathlon and I was far less prepared for it than for my first one.


The run was at the end of the race. It seemed like so easy of a run after the marathon training. And that's where I realized (duh) that I had been training for distance, not so much for speed. So I was just gettting warmed up when I crossed the finish line.


Also, I learned how much slower a mountain bike is compared to a road bike on the asphalt. But still, all in all it was a great time. Thanks to my physical therapist for the donation of the bike stand and to Smokey for altering it for my mountain bike.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yeah! I've been waiting for some news to appear on your journal...what is your next race or challenge?