Friday, August 28, 2009

A Whale of a Good Weekend



Last weekend I drove down to Cooper Landing on the Kenai Peninsula on Saturday morning. It's the time of year when salmon are heading upstream and smart whales are following them. A whole line of cars were pulled over to watch this pod of belugas swimming along the edge of Turnagain Arm. It was a very cool way to start the trip and well worth the ten minutes late I was getting to the shop.





The shop…..it was rainy on Sunday, so I didn't hang up any of the quilts outside. It's cute and has an amazing inventory. And it's slow enough to allow cutting of kits for inventory and projects for sewing up in the evening at the house….on the lake….where I keep my kayak….and can let the dogs run around. I'll be there again this weekend and the following weekend. It's state fair time and my friend has a booth at the fair. Nope, it's not a booth having anything at all to do with fabric. They deep fry corn fritters, ice cream, and cheesecake. I know, my arteries clogged up a little just from typing that.

Smokey left on a weekend deer hunting trip this morning. His friend's idea of an early start was 10am. I curse him. Only because Smokey's idea of an early start is 5am. I love how men communicate. The puppies and I will be heading south as soon as I can convince my boss that really, 42 hours is enough this week. We're going to stop and hike on one of the many trails along the way in an attempt to continue to get ready for my pending hike around Mount Rainier on the Wonderland Trail. Yes, life is good. Now, about that early start on the weekend……did I mention I want to put new shocks on my truck before I go? The road is pretty bumpy and the puppies and I are getting tired of bouncing around so much. So is Tucum.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Early start when you have work to do on your truck??? That almost sounds like an oxemoron!

Anonymous said...

Beluga, its such a cool name. I like to say it repeatedly out loud, its cool, lol. Don't you ever get on Facebook? ~Patsy