Friday, December 2, 2011

Gobble Gobble

 I did a little traveling for Thanksgiving this year, back to POW Island.  After the five millionth time I was asked, I think I determined that I haven't been there in 3.5 years. 


Despite not leaving the state for the holiday, I managed to spend as much time getting to the island as it takes to get to another island.....a tropical warm island.....called Hawaii.


I flew into Klawock this trip instead of arriving in Hollis.  It was a different perspective and a hillarious expeditious ending to a very slow journey.  I mostly spent the long weekend inside, and even had one 24 hour period where I didn't show my face outside.  It was delightful.  And then the phones and internet went down, so it was very peaceful thesis writing. I particularly enjoyed a couple encounters in stores - people recognized me but couldn't really figure out who I was.  I did meet up with some old friends and made a couple new friends (yes, I'm counting the cats).


True to SE travel fun, I took the ferry over to Ketchikan the day before my flight north.  I stayed at a very nice hotel and took the tram down the hill to town near dusk.  The bookstore has moved - hillariously only a block or so.  I was very nerdy and found out with my iphone. 

The next time it's super cold in Anchorage I may just brave this journey again.....or maybe just to Sitka, that's only two stops instead of four.

No comments: