Friday, July 23, 2010

Holiday Weekend

I know it was three weekends ago, but I've been hiding inside doing repairs and pretending like it isn't summer. While most of you were out trying not to get sunburned or overdose on lemonade, I was drinking coffee. Welcome to a typical 4th of July in Alaska. I finally got down to Seward with my boat to my friend's cabin on the beach. While an overcast day will not keep me from much anymore (neither will rain) a strong steady wind will keep me from putting my boat in the ocean.


I did get my toes and my dogs wet by walking on the beach and riding my mountain bike to another beach. The clouds also lifted on our way out of town to try our luck in Homer. Wait, what's that in the water there?


Oh look, the local wildlife came out to say good bye. Too bad I'm taking his picture from the road instead of my boat. Homer wasn't any better, but for a different reason. I went to help my girlfriend with some renovation work on her cabin. Turns out it was opening weekend for her parent's cafe, so we ended up helping out there instead. While the weather was acceptable for boating, the dogs were not. I discovered that Percy really does not like fireworks. I didn't even think people would set them off since it's totally daylight and you can't seem them. Silly me. Last weekend we got out to Eklutna with boats and I really like my new paddle. It was super sunny and I actually needed sunscreen and not bug dope. Very strange. Unfortunately, pictures from last weekend were on my friend's camera which was stolen out of his truck Sunday night. I know, don't bring a camera if you come hang out with me.


No comments: