Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Beer Climb

Smokey and I headed out to the valley last Saturday to break in his new-to-him climbing gear. We forgot to actually take our camera out of the pack and take pictures, but my friend who went with us took a few. We watched the sun rise and shine on the ridge in the distance from the top of the ice falls.


We stayed plenty warm when not on the ice with my plethora of Apocalypse gear and hot tea.


Oh, and we climbed the waterfall. It was wet and wonderful. I still have a long way to go on my technique, but my confidence in my gear is rising and I'm remembering a bit from my first climbing ten years ago in the farther north land of cold, Fairbanks.


See Mom, no falling off the ice. I even practiced installing ice screws so I can have the confidence to lead soon. No Mom, I will not explain that because you wouldn't like it. Just pretend I said 'eat chocolate cake'.


A happy Smokey is about to belay me. I'm so glad we got him out on the ice before he started climbing the walls. Now I just have him asking if we can ice climb every day. Guess I better buy a rope and more ice screws. And a membership to the rock gym for weeknights.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So glad that you had fun ice climbing! It was nice that someone else took the pictures so you both could be seen together.

Have fun.