Monday, January 18, 2010

Wolverine Winter Summit

The weekend before last Smokey decided to host a shindig. He has previously hosted such an event, mostly for his WFR clan, but decided to add an element, to kick it up a notch, if you will. This involved a dinner party morphing into a full day of hiking followed by a potluck style dinner. He even polled folks and selected a Sunday so everyone could make it.


While at first I was very excited about this socializing, it may have waned a little after hauling myself and my well supplied pack up a steep ridge. I may have said something along the lines of 'who's idea was this anyway?'


That's about when we saw this pile of metal. My guess was the remains of a weather station. Luckily, the one friend (that's right, I said one) who joined us for the hike knew it was the remnants of a very light aircraft that wrecked in bad weather many years ago.


My two-tailed dog summited with me in the glorious sunny day. Actually, I think they summited about seven times. Very little wind at the actual top, but plenty on the way up. We didn't hang out for too long as sitting still was cold. Even the dogs thought so and they expressed this by trying to crawl onto my lap. At the same time. Smokey was laughing too hard to get a picture of that.



But he did get plenty of other pics of the great view. Someday I'll know all those peaks by sight. I usually only remember the names after I've been up them.



Too bad everyone else missed this. Also too bad we only had an hour after this six hour hike to get the house cleaned for our guests. I told people that if they really liked us they wouldn't open any closed doors. Thank goodness for closed doors.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love the pictures of your hike.

I always love the cleaning power of closed doors!