Thursday, February 12, 2015

Full February Weeks

So far, February has been ridiculous.  I blame the moon.  And the lack of snow.  

I got to move cubicles.  at both offices.  So my view changed.  I like both new spaces, so much that I finally plugged in my palm tree again.  I get a little obsessed with sunrise and sunset this time of year.  Probably because I get to see them both from the office for a while.  

No only have we had awesome clear skies for viewing the aurora and some extremely rare celestial events, we got a very  bright full moon.  I stared at it a lot.  And misplaced my headlamp.  So did Chad.  Except I found mine since then and he is still staggering around behind me on the trail when we walk the dogs at night.  Which is generally the only time I get to see him right now.  He started his own business at the end of the year.  We haven't had time to print him business cards.  Because he's never home.  And then he started a second business with the neighbor.  So when he is home, he's in the garage.  Building drums.

Except for one night last week.  Because my social event girlfriend is back from her amazing grand canyon trip (which I am so jealous of I can barely stand to think about).  She asked if we wanted to go for a moonlight ski.  Ha!  Do I?  Um, yeah.  .....and here is where I explain why there are no actual skiing pictures, just the city skyline from afar.  It might have been Chad's third time on cross country skis.  Ever.  There wasn't a lot of talking going on.  It's kind of all down hill and we were in the shadows at first and the other guy who was skiing with us (who grew up right next to the trails we were on) made a silly statement about not turning on your headlight....  No one got injured.  Permanently....


And look at the amazing surface frost!  Most of the crystals were over an inch long.  Ri-diculous.  There have been several days of inversions, so while we suffer sub zero temps in the bowl it's balmy up in the hills.  


 Sometimes when I'm feeling wimpy I go to a certain yoga class that kicks my butt and empties my brain.  And when I'm changing back into real human clothes afterwards so I can go ice skate under the full moon I get a reminder that I am a goal oriented person and I don't feel very oriented lately.  But the messages are so conflicting and motivating that I get in a hurry to go be productive and I put my shirt on backwards.  Thus, erasing the zen of the previous hour.


And then, ice skating.  Finally.  The moon had not yet risen when i got there.  I did a couple laps and then it popped up between the trees.  I actually stopped and stared at it.   My toes were freezing by the time my friends arrived.  We just kept skating and warming up by the barrel fires.


Weekends have been all about getting outside and playing in beautiful Alaska with the dogs.  And cleaning.  Because it doesn't get done during the week.  I'm too busy staring at the moon.

Last week before the moonlight skiing we took friends who were out of town up on a generous offer.  We took their fat tire bikes out for some exercise.  Otherwise they just sit around and get fatter.  They live across the road from a great local trail network.  I don't think we were five minutes down the trail before Chad declared that we were getting these next year.  To be fair, I think it took us both five minutes to figure out how to shift since the poogies were already on the handlebars when we arrived.  I knew this would happen.  The desire for new toys, not the shifting.

No comments: