Friday, November 7, 2008

Unexpected Visiting

So Wednesday I rode my bike to the office because I didn't have any work or training or other activity to attend to in the evening. It was a pleasant day for a ride and upon arriving at home I took the dogs out. And then I went for a run with one of my friends. Smokey the Bear (aka Alex) drove by us as we were running. I waved, but didn't think he saw us. We returned home to.......a locked apartment. Hmmm...so that's interesting. I wonder if the windows are unlocked? Or maybe the back door? Nope. Hmmm.....how did he miss my keys sitting on the counter, and my bike in the living room, and the dogs out of their kennels? 'Friend, where are your keys?' 'Uh, inside.' 'I see. Well, let's see if the neighbor is home and we can use her phone.' Luckily she was and I played with her puppy while my friend called her boyfriend and got him to bundle up the baby and hop in the truck and bring her the spare key. He brought the key fob. Anyone sense a theme here? She had to ride home and get the spare and be brought back out to pick up her car.

Let's pause here so I can address the questions I'm sure are brewing. Smokey's cell plan was up for renewal a couple weeks ago. He was tired of not having reception inside the apartment. He decided not to renew it. He does not have a cell phone now. Also, he has a college buddy in town from Nome (go look that up on the map, I visited there this summer on a layover) and they are going out to dinner. I thought I was joining them, but obviously I was wrong. Being that Smokey is not prone to late night drinking binges, I was confident he would be home soon. Until I thought about what it was like to live in a small town and finally come to the city (big town in this case). Who knows what kind of errands this friend needs to run!

While my neighbor tried to break into my apartment for me, I decided to leave Smokey a note and head home with my friend. She fed me and let me play with the baby and cats and gave me wine. What more could I want? I love being an unexpected visitor.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank goodness you didn't have to wait out in the cold for Alex and his friend to get home.