Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Unsustainable J.O.B.

Last night I was reminded of why waitressing is just not a sustainable job for me. Can you guess where this revelation came from? Why yes, it was Monday night football. I love football. Maybe it's the grown men in tights. Maybe it's the adrenaline inspired touchdown dances. Or perhaps it's the petty fights, infinitely detailed rules and regulations, tiny ball, tons of padding, and billions of dollars. And then there's the fans. Their diversity, and commitment ought to be commended. Or is that committed? I always get those two confused. It just touches my soul to see all the fans crowd in and cheer for a common goal. Or is that gole? I guess it's really touchdown in this case.

So the whole unsustainable aspect comes into play in more than one realm. There is, of course, my attitude towards the waste of resources, etc. And then there's the tips. Yup, show me the money, that's what it always comes down to, isn't it? Last night I worked for three and half hours and I took home ....(wait for it)......a whopping total of four dollars. Of course Smokey the Bear had dinner too, but I usually don't even notice that being taken out of my tips. Last night, it was more than half ($6.12 to be exact). Perhaps it's time to just let go of this non-lucrative second job and just stay home and pet my cats. I guess I could pet the dogs too. And there's always that mysterious smell in the fridge I could investigate. Yes, the to do list is ever growing and never shrinking. If only we could harness that energy somehow....then I could quit both my jobs and spend all my time playing outside. What, a girl can dream, can't she? This one can!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

sounds like you need an upgrade in Restaurants....