Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Doggin It

Smokey was gone for 10 days, which I found made me really boring. He's back now, so I am motivated to blog again because I can borrow his digital camera and share pictures!


I have been spending most of my 'free' time working my dog for avalanche rescue and helping other people train and test for avalanche rescue certification. I never seem to take pictures of training Tatonka, but I do take pictures of other people's dogs. Above is a dog I train with sometimes, at the end of her timed problem. She doesn't know the problem is over, she's still working. Good work ethic that girl has.


She's gorgeous, for a pointy earred dog. A black shepard.


We are testing in a local favorite hiking/skiing area close to town. You need a 4WD vehicle to get there. Trust me, I drove Tucumcari up there and slid backwards a few feet from the parking lot. It wasn't pretty, but no one got hurt. We marked off an area and tracked up a slope on some varying terrain. I was here again a week or so after this to get buried in a snow cave and work Tatonka at the same caves. It was fun even though my radio battery died while I was buried.



Here is a woman I work with frequently. She is working to certify her dog in avalanche. He's already certified in wilderness. With any luck I might be doing the same thing next year. One hurdle at a time.



Unfortunately her dog got hurt yesterday and has some stitches in his paw, so she had to postpone last night's and future tests. Bummer.




I think she's mightly brave to do her testing with her skis on. I think I might never move beyond snowshoe ability (and affordability).

No comments: