Monday, March 16, 2009

Iditarod Frenzy

Two weekwends ago Smokey and I went downtown to watch the Iditarod kick off. The same streets that were blocked off for Fur Rondy were blocked off and there were trucks surrounded by dogs lining them.


Special, big, fancy trucks. With famous mushers names custom painted on the sides.


And famous mushers with their sleds behind their trucks. Several mushers had riders for the ceremonial start. Martin looked to have a nice ride set up. He has a chair with serious cushions for his rider. We almost got a picture of me with him, but the camera batteries died. Murphy's Law still works below freezing.



This is the crowd inside the fencing. It takes a ton of people to make this race go. There are lots of dog handlers for each team and all kinds of special extra people at the downtown start who get pictures taken. Official start banner spans the road next to our famous bright yellow building.




As we walked along, drinking free coffee and cocoa and wishing I had my cell phone so I could call my Mom and let her hear the hubub and announcer's voice, we came upon this parking garage line with masses of people.




Hmmm.... the view from the street looks like this......I bet it's better up there.






Wow, look at that, it is better up there. And we aren't even that close to the top or the corner.





Go team, go! This is number 14, off to Willow for the re-start of the race. Good luck! We could only stay to watch the first 15 teams start as I had to go do some avalanche training with Tatonka. It was really fun to be at the start of the race. I think I'll go again next year.

No comments: