Thursday, March 12, 2009

Finger Chronicles

When we last talked about my broken finger, it looked mostly like this. The cast was signed, duct tape was applied to alleviate the rubbing on my finger and all was mostly well.


Four days into cast life I went in for a second round of xrays. My finger moved. Not just moved, but also rotated. I was scheduled for surgery the next morning. I now have a plate and five screws in the little space between two knuckles. The xrays are awesome, but don't photograph well, so you'll have to come visit to see them. I spent a week or so with my bandaged hand in a sling above my heart, dubbing myself the one mittened bandit. Not that I did anything bandit like, just that it sounded cool.


And then I met my hand therapist. She freed me from the bandages and molded this plastic to my hand. It was really cool. I got to pick the colors. She even let me have my middle finger back.



And so now my hand looks like this. The splint goes halfway up my arm. But I get to take it off and do fun hand and wrist exercises three times a day. And I get to go see the hand therapist again today. It's rumored that she will make the brace shorter. I'm way more interested in her getting my knuckle to bend, but I'll take what I can get.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I had no idea how serious your hand injury was that absolutely sucks!

mo said...

Oh yeah, no knitting for me. It's possible, but way too slow and really poor tension control. Also no skiing, biking, or swimming. I'm going to try to convince them to allow snowboarding since we got 12+ inches this weekend.