Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Winter Biking in Anchor Town

I appreciate that some of you will think I'm crazy for riding my bike in the winter, but let me just point out that I'm not alone and it hasn't even come close to killing me. Today I went one step further and rode to school, swam, and then rode to the office. This is when I realized how much riding at 30 degrees sucks a lot more than at 20 degrees. Those of you who were here during our latest sub zero spell can appreciate that I stop riding at 0 degrees because I'm not completely insane. The problem that arises in the warmer temps is that trails, like next to the creek that I ride to school, are packed with layers of snow and are frequently groomed for skiers. During warmer periods this firm pack becomes soft and riding (and running) on them becomes akin to biking on the beach. Not a hard packed beach, I mean that dry sand up where you put your towel and sunscreen. It's a workout for sure.

Another fun challenge is riding on streets. At 30 all the vehicles are spinning tires and barely in control. Which makes me feel just a wee bit vulnerable when I'm waiting for a light to change and cars are spinning out in the turn lane. News flash people: slow down and put it in 4 wheel drive if you have it. If you are driving a Mini Cooper or a VW Bug, my heart does not bleed for you. You live in Alaska, park it for the winter or trade it in. Sorry, stepping off the soapbox now.

Some retailers are awesome and they shovel or plow their sidewalks. I love you. Waiting for the Muni to plow the sidewalks after it snows is fairly hit and miss. I'm torn here because I love snow and love to ski, but it can take quite a while to get my entire route to work plowed. Sometimes I get faked out by most of it being plowed and then I end up walking part of it. The other thing that happens when it snows is that holes get filled in just like the potholes in the road. Not a big deal when it's 10 degrees because everything is frozen solid. But at 30 degrees when you are booking down the sidewalk between lights, not getting hit by any vehicles and you hit a hole of soft snow.....let's just say the car occupants have a high chance of getting a fun show of you flying through the air at approximately 9.7 mph. I know that doesn't sound fast, but give it a try and you might change your mind.

Currently I'm sitting at work watching the snow start to fall outside. It's not dumping or anything, but just like my co-workers who live an hour outside of town, I'm keeping an eye on it. We're well overdue for a good dump or two here. I would rather it happen now than next week when I'm trying to work my dog at the avalanche workshop.

3 comments:

j you know the rest said...

Can I link to this on my site? Warning: you may get a lot of traffic. If you only want friends/family on your blog, then I won't.

j said...

P.S. did you see the bio I wrote for you on the site?

mo said...

Not yet, but I'm headed there now. Linking is fine with me.