Friday, December 12, 2008

It Keeps Going

It turns out that the company that towed Tucumcari to jail is about as reliable as the guy who was working on her.

We arrive the next morning at the appointed time after Smokey gets permission to arrive late to work, only to find out they aren't really open. But the *highly intelligent mechanic* behind the desk takes down my phone number and will try to get a hold of the owner.

Smokey goes to work. I go home and sit by phone. At noon it rings. They are on their way to the yard and will have her out in an hour or so. JOY!! I believe them. I retrieve Smokey from work and arrive at the yard at the appointed time. No cars have been moved. There is one guy there. We wander around yard and joyously find her under a foot of snow near the back. We shovel snow off before canopy collapses. I crawl underneath and confirm breaks were done. I look under hood and am joyous at new battery. Maybe guy wasn't lying, just was criminal. She wants to start. The clutch peddal goes straight to the floor and takes my heart with it. I look under hood again. Slave cylindar is missing. Young tow guy (owner's son) says he has to move 8 vehicles to get her out. He says it would be easier if he had the key. I ignore the little voice and give him my only key. He says he won't lose it and that he will have her out today (Saturday). I believe him. He will work on it between calls. I take Smokey back to work. A few hours later I stop by the yard on my way to bar maid job. No one is there. It is locked up. Nothing has moved.

We drive by the yard on Sunday. Nothing has moved. I call the office on Monday. Dispatcher tells me they are working on it right now and will call me as soon as they are done. I do not believe her. Tuesday I hear nothing and do nothing. I call again on Wednesday near the end of the day and am asked to hold for a moment. Dispatcher tells me truck is out and when can I get there. I tell her 20 minutes and she says she will ask the driver to wait there. We reconfirm the price ($245) and that I will give it to the driver in cash. I rush over and get Smokey to leave work early and then we rush over to the yard.

The yard is open. The vehicles have been moved! There is no driver there. And where did they put Tucum? We call the dispatcher and are told the driver will be right back. We see Tucum at the front of the yard and go talk to her. Driver arrives and is paid. He does not have the key. he calls the office. They call the kid. He will look for it. We go to the office. No key. Kid arrives. No key. We go back to truck and look inside. No key. This takes 3 hours. We have eaten all the candy in their basket. They will find key or have one made. We have ice cream for dinner.

That was Wednesday. I'm hoping Tucumcari will be home for Christmas now. Perhaps I will have found parts by then. Probably studded tires for bike will arrive day before parts.

I'm thinking I will not ever let anyone touch her again. Not even for an oil change.

I'll tell you about my trip south as soon as this drama ends.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh My.....

Marissa said...

Holy Crap. This sounds like a painful saga.