Monday, December 22, 2008

Update

I would love to show you some pictures from my trip, but I'm still waiting for them to be sent to me. I think I'll dedicate my tips from my remaining shifts to the acquisition of a new camera.

While my friends and family in Seattle and Portland have been raving/complaining about their ice encrusted winter wonderland, we have seen no new snow in town, that I recall, for weeks. Why are you stealing our snow? Also, it has been in the teens (if we are lucky) for our daily high for weeks. Do you want some of that to go with your snow? I didn't think so.

On the up side, I have a new installment in the continuing saga of Tucumcari the Wonder Truck (as in 'I wonder if she will be home for Christmas') ready for you. The short version goes like this: In the past 10 days the tow yard has managed to have a key made to replace the one I gave them that they lost. They then lost this new key. Then they had a new one made. She starts. She is stuck in reverse. They continue to make empty promises. I'm now waiting for them to move three vehicles that are blocking my exit from the larger yard they share with another tow company. I locked the doors since they are having an auction this week. I check to make sure she's still there everyday. One of the vehicles they need to move is one of their own tow trucks they wrecked last week. Be still my overwhelming confidence. Fill in the gaps with more of the same level of competence, like 'Bill has the key and he's at the yard, we think, but his cell phone is dead. We'll call you as soon as we know anything'. You can imagine I didn't hold my breath for that call, but rather chose to laugh my ass off upon hanging up from that statement. Let me know if anyone wants the long version.

Christmas parties have been attened this past week. The highlights include a nice dinner at a very fancy place with Smokey's co-workers and their wives. I successfully resisted all temptations to respond to political/environmental statements with my views since I was overwhelmingly outnumbered and didn't want to have to pay for my dinner. Smokey got a raise and a bonus. I maintain they are trying to bribe him to stay since they finally fired the other repair guy. My work party was also at an upscale locale with good food. I brought a bike pump for the gift exchange (Joe Blow brand) and delighted in it being the first gift unwrapped due to it's unusual shape. I reckon I took home the best gift there, a handmade (by a co-worker) stained glass comet in a wood frame. Picture later, if lucky. I also managed to snag the grand prize, $300 gift card to Alyeska, our local ski resort. Directly after that, during the big bosses talk, I had to depart to go to bar maid job. Yes, I am a big fat rat. And someday the Seattle airport will open again and my snowboard will get on a happy cargo plane and make it's way here.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Has your truck come home yet? I don't know why your stuff hasn't shipped up to Anchorage yet. I keep checking the website to see if it has left Seattle, but it hasn't.