Monday, December 15, 2008

Modified View of Cold

I spent the weekend at an inter-agency avalanche training. I've been planning this for weeks at least. I put in my time off request over a month ago from the job I will only be at for two more weekends because I am a softie. I gathered warm clothes when I was south for Thanksgiving.

I forgot to bring those clothes with me and chose instead to ship them north. I believe they are getting on a plane today. Also, when I asked for the weekend off I forgot to specify that the Friday before the Saturday off I would like to not have a closing shift. Never mind that this is now my regular shift. It was the busiest Friday I have ever seen there. I got a short nap before my 1+ hour drive.

The weekend was good overall and I should have some pictures to share later. Like as soon as I can find that lady's card with her contact details on it.....

Wearing my warmest clothes with heat packs in my mittens and boots, I was cold standing around all day. Never have I wished more for the opportunity to dig a hold in the snow. In fact, I am very grateful to the lady who took some pictures as she kept us from freezing more on Sunday by volunteering us to go get a sled from the parking lot for a scenario. We kept warm all right and it sure beat working the probe line we had been sent there to do. I pulled the sled behind me while I snowshoed up a path not quite wide enough for the sled so we had to keep stoping so she could empty the snow out. She got to pull it downhill with the subject in it. But by then we had a group of 8 snowshoers to widen the path. It was still fun, but I'm really inspired to certify my dog and reduce my chances of pulling sleds.

I learned that my thermos rocks. It was exposed constantly yesterday to temps as high as +10 from 9am to 6pm and I had a cup of hot tea on the drive home.

Speaking of temperatures, have you ever gotten back to your rig after playing in the cold/snow and stayed cold until the rig gets warmed up at which point you start peeling off clothes and turning down the fan/temp for the rest of the drive? I experienced a new phenomenom this weekend. It involved the fan staying on high, the temp staying on high and all the warm clothes staying on, including the balaclava and mittens. The drive was over an hour and I never got hot. That might have had something to do with the -10 temp outside. Or maybe I'm just weak from having a desk job.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Your stuff is waiting at the airport for an opportunity to make it out to Anchorage. We've been having lots of fun with all the snow we've been getting and are forecast to get more. So your stuff is at the airport...Paul and I delivered it.