Monday, October 20, 2008

Inland boating

Whittier was not my only boating destination this spring/summer. Alex and I also went canoeing at Fire Lake and kayaking at Eklutna Lake.

We also got up at 4am one morning and drove out to Eagle River and floated back to the bridge. This entailed an extensive amount of driving around and nearly running out of gas as well as putting the raft together and pumping it up with a hand pump. We now have a foot pump because I had to row after pumping up two of the tubes and my arms were a little bit tired. We were going on second hand knowledge and I now think these people had not actually been to the area before. We put in on a tiny tributary not much wider than the raft and proceeded to push our way through the willows. Just when I was sure I couldn't stand it anymore and was awake enough to consider walking back to the truck, we found the counfluence with the main stem. And what do you think we saw at this confluence? Giant bear tracks. No problem, it seems like a beautiful day to die and I've just rowed through hell, so why not?

No comments: