Monday, October 20, 2008

Return to Whittier

After a few weeks the memory of the rainy, foggy trip to Whittier took on more of a nostalgic view and we decided to try again.

With seemingly much better luck. It was very sunny this time and we could see all the mountains we knew must be there.


What a beautiful day! I look like I'm having a great time, don't I? See how I'm actually sitting on the rocks? What looks like a smile is actually a frozen face. Not only is it cold, the wind is blowing so hard it takes us four times as long to paddle back as it did to paddle 20 minutes out. One of the local outfitters came and asked if we needed help. Have you ever paddled as hard as you can and realized you are actually going nowhere? Literally. Technically we could have walked the boat back to the truck on the rocks, and at times were willing to try, but it would have sucked even more.

I haven't had the chance to try again, but I refuse to give up on this kayaking oasis.

No comments: