Monday, October 13, 2008

Island Hoping with Mom

As usually happens when I move somewhere new, Mom came to visit a few months after I moved to the island. I didn't even have to schedule any time off as my normal work schedule was 8 days on and 6 days off. The best full-time schedule I have ever worked.

Our explorations began on the island. We took in the views from many sides of the island and were even rewarded with some sunny days.

Then we got to some wildlife viewing. She especially liked getting so close to the bears.

And I loved the frogs.

It was such a beautiful day we headed back to the beach.......


Then we did some berry picking with Alex and his nephew along the trail back to the vehicle.

Then we checked out another trail on the island I had been waiting to explore. Boardwalks led us close to caverns and waterfalls.

We also stayed in a Forest Service cabin and kayaked in the tidal creek. I love my kayak.

Then we got up in the wee hours of the morning and drove to the north side of the island and caught the ferry north to Wrangell and then on to Petersburg. The tide was out when we got there so we had to drive up a very long dock to get onto the island.

Not surprisingly, Petersburg is a fishing community.

It's also very Norse, a little like Leavenworth.


The local museum had exhibits on both the Norse aspect and the fishing aspect of their locale. We had a lovely couple days of beachwalking, hiking, exploring the local quilt shop, and camping because all the hotels were full.

And then we rode the ferry back to Wrangell and Coffman Cove for the long drive back to Hollis. Tatonka had a great time and is well adjusted to riding on ferries now.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Mo,

I love all the pictures..I'm so sorry that I wasn't able to come see the island while you were there. I will make it up to Alaska before you leave. Yeah flight benefits are coming my way soon.

Kathy